Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Something Out of Nothing

"Years from now, when all the junk they got is broken and long forgotten," Dad said, "you'll still have your stars."

As I read Jeannette Walls describe her Christmas experience, I began to realize how special her parents really were. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday because of all the fun, family traditions such as baking cookies, finding the perfect tree, and opening Christmas presents on Christmas morning. My family has always had enough money for the ideal Christmas. On the other hand, the Walls family barely had enough money to buy food, but Jeannette's parents seemed to always make something out of nothing. Her father always made his children happy despite the lack of money. He individually took his children into the dessert and said that they could choose any star they wanted. That would be their Christmas present. I just think that was simply amazing. As I read Jeannette quote her father, it made me smile. Even though their parents had a tough time financially, they seemed to make their family as happy as they possibly could be.


No comments:

Post a Comment